Last Updated 11-29-22
TYPES OF INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
We may collect both personal information and non-personal information when you access the Website and/or use the Services. Personal information is information that directly or indirectly identifies you, such as your name, email address, and telephone number. Non-personal information is information that does not directly or indirectly identify you, such as your computer’s operating system or browser version.
We collect different categories of personal information from Website visitors, Consumers, and Attorneys.
Personal Information We Collect Directly from Users:
When a User accesses the Website and/or uses the Services, we may ask for certain personal information, including:
- Name, phone number, email address;
- Information regarding the case for which the User would like to receive legal funding;
- The amount of legal funding requested; and
- Location information.
Personal Information We Collect Directly from Attorneys:
When an Attorney accesses the Website and/or uses the Services, we may ask for certain personal information, including:
- Name, law firm name, phone number, email address; and
- Location information including office address.
Non-Personal Information We Collect from Website Visitors:
We may collect non-personal information about the features you use on the Website, the actions you take on the Website, and the time and duration of your activities on the Website.
When you access the Website and/or use the Services, we may also collect information about your device, such as hardware model, operating system information, IP address, mobile network information, and device identifiers. We may also collect and process information about your actual location.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
We use your personal information to provide the Services, including to provide Users with consumer legal funding and Attorneys with law firm funding.
We may also use your personal information to identify and authenticate user accounts, to troubleshoot technical issues you may be experiencing, to communicate with you about the Services, to enforce our terms of service including detecting and responding to fraud or abuse of the Services, and to improve the content and general administration of the Services.
We may aggregate and use both personal and non-personal information to track how the Services are being used, to improve the Services, and to offer new products and services.
Most internet sites collect data about visitors through the use of “cookies.” Cookies are small text files that help websites recognize repeat visitors by assigning a random number to each desktop for tracking content preferences and traffic patterns. Cookies do not and cannot infiltrate a user’s hard drive to gather confidential information. Our cookies are not “spyware.”
The Website may use browser cookies to track user behavior. Through cookies we may also record past activity in order to improve your experience with the Services or customize content based on your browser type or other information that you send us. Blocking cookies may impact the functionality of the Services and prevent them from operating as expected.
We may use third-party advertising companies to help us tailor Website content to users or to serve ads on our behalf. These companies may employ cookies to measure advertising effectiveness (such as which web pages are visited or which products are purchased and in what amount). Any information that these third parties collect via cookies is not linked to any personal information collected by us.
RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We retain personal information collected via the Services for as long as we have a relationship with you. Once our relationship with you ends, we will determine how long it is necessary to retain your personal information based on legal requirements and our legitimate business interests. If you have any concerns about our data processing in relation to the Services, please contact us at email@example.com
SHARING PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
We may share personal information that we collect in connection with the Services for the following purposes:
- We share personal information as needed with certain third-party service providers in order to operate and provide features through the Services.
- We may share personal information when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation or by applicable law, rule, or regulation.
- We may share personal information as needed to verify or enforce compliance with our terms of service and any other policies governing the Services, or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Services.
- We may disclose personal information whenever we believe disclosure is necessary to limit our legal liability, to protect or defend our rights or property, and/or to protect the safety, rights, or property of our users or other third parties.
- In the event of a merger, consolidation, or other corporate reorganization in which we participate or a sale of all or substantially all of our stock and/or assets to which the Services relate, we may transfer your personal information to the successor entity or purchaser.
LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY CONTENT
We may provide links to websites or services owned or operated by third parties (“Third-Party Content”). We are providing these links to you as a convenience, and we do not verify, make any representations, or take any responsibility for such Third-Party Content, including, without limitation, the truthfulness, accuracy, quality, or completeness of the content, products, services, or information provided therein. The Third-Party Content may be subject to different privacy policies and business practices than the Website. Your dealings and communications through the Services with any party other than us are solely between you and such third party.
We use a variety of physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information. However, no method of electronic storage or method of transmission over the internet or phone lines is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the protection of any information against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction, or that any information may not be disclosed or accessed by accidental circumstances or by the unauthorized acts of others. Consequently, when you transmit your personal information to us, you do so at your own risk.
If we learn of a security systems breach, leading to the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure of, or unauthorized access to your personal information, we shall notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the Services or providing personal information to us, you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security and privacy issues related to the Services. We will endeavor to provide notice to you of any security systems breach and efforts to restore the integrity of the Services in accordance with applicable law. If you become aware of any breach of data security or have any other questions about the security of the Services, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
YOUR RIGHTS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You may “opt-out” of receiving future offers from us or from affiliated and unaffiliated companies. To remove your information from our database so that you do not receive future advertising communications, you can send an email to email@example.com Please note that it may take up to 30 days from the date of receipt of notification for your request to become active.
California: In accordance with California law, we will automatically opt out California residents from sharing with unaffiliated companies and will not share information we collect about California residents with unaffiliated companies except as permitted by law, with your consent, or to service your account. We will limit sharing with affiliates to the extent required by applicable California law.
Vermont: In accordance with Vermont law, we will automatically opt out Vermont residents from sharing with unaffiliated companies and will not share information we collect about Vermont residents with unaffiliated companies except as permitted by law, with your consent, or to service your account. We will not share application information, consumer report information, or information from outside sources about Vermont residents with affiliated companies except with the authorization or consent of the Vermont resident.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of children. The Services are not intended or designed to attract children under the age of 13. We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person we actually know is a child under the age of 13.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR EUROPEAN RESIDENTS
If you are a resident of the European Union (“EU”) or European Economic Area, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) with respect to your Personal Information, as detailed below.
The data controller of users’ personal information is:
400 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Legal Bases for Using Personal Information
We process personal information obtained in connection with the Services for different purposes on the following legal bases:
- To perform our contractual obligations to Users and Attorneys, as appropriate. We and our service providers process your personal information to perform our contractual obligations when we use your personal information to provide you with the Services and to communicate with you. We may send you informational communications on this basis, including to notify you of a change to the Services.
- To pursue our legitimate interests. We process your personal information to meet our legitimate interests when we use your personal information to provide you with the Services, or for promotional, advertising, and marketing purposes. For example, our legitimate interests include making improvements to, customizing, and understanding how Users, Attorneys, and others interact with the Services. We also rely on our legitimate interests to send you certain communications. To accomplish our legitimate interests, we may share your personal information with our service providers and in the context of a corporate transaction.
- To comply with our legal obligations. We process and share your personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations when we use your personal information to protect our rights or the rights of others and when we share your personal information with other parties where required by law or as necessary to protect our rights.
- With your consent. We obtain your consent to process your personal information when we are required to do so by law. If consent is the legal basis on which we process your personal information, you can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us following the instructions provided in the “Contact Us” section above.
Your Rights to Your Personal Information
In certain circumstances, you have the right to request from us access to your personal information and to obtain information about the purposes of its processing, categories of personal information processed, recipients of personal information, and storage period of said personal information.
You also have the right to update incorrect personal information and to provide missing personal information if you deem that your personal information is incomplete.
In certain circumstances, you have the right to request that use of your personal information be restricted.
You have the right to object in case of the processing of your personal information for the purposes of direct marketing, including profiling, to the extent that it is related to such direct marketing. After submitting the objection, we will refrain from processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes (including profiling).
You have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of personal information at any time, but the withdrawal does not retroactively apply to the consented-to use of your personal information before the withdrawal.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority about our use of your personal information.
All of the above rights are subject to applicable law.
If you have any questions or concerns about the use of your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are committed to working with you to resolve any concerns or complaints in a fair and efficient manner.